Monday, 11 June 2007 08:35
A diagram of the process by which spammers use zombie (virus-infected) computers to send spam.
- Virus writer sends out viruses, infecting ordinary users’ Windows PCs.
- Infected PCs log into an IRC server or other communications medium, forming a network of infected systems known as a botnet.
- Spammer purchases access to this botnet from virus writer or a dealer.
- Spammer sends instructions to the botnet, instructing the infected PCs to send out spam.
- The infected PCs send the spam messages to Internet users’ mail servers.